General Information

Closed/Full Classes
To inquire about entering a closed class, contact the department offering the class for assistance. Departmental phone numbers are available through the WSU Online Directory at

Dropping or Withdrawing from Classes
Students must drop classes via the Web by logging into Academica. If a student has a hold and needs help dropping a class then they should send an e-mail request from their WSU e-mail account to with the appropriate course information.
Students may drop a class for fifteen week classes through the end of the fourth week of class. Classes that are dropped do not appear on the transcript.

Beginning the fifth week of class students are no longer allowed to drop but must withdraw from classes. It is the student's responsibility to request the withdrawal. Failure to do so will result in a grade of F. Beginning Fall 2011, the withdrawal period for full-term classes ends at the end of the tenth week of the term. See the Academic Calendar for specific information on when the withdrawal period ends.

Get a SMART Check. Learn how withdrawing from a course will specifically impact you financially and academically. Click here for more information.

Having a hold will not prevent you from withdrawing.

Registration Fee
Students who drop all classes by the last day to drop will have the registration fee waived. Check specific course drop dates by clicking on the "Course Ref. No." link next to the course on the Class Schedule site.

Visitor Program
The Visitor Program allows any adult who is not currently enrolled in credit courses at Wayne State to attend a wide range of University courses in a non-credit status. Visitor status students do not receive academic credit and do not receive acknowledgement on transcripts. Provided space is available, adults may enroll as Visitors in most of the courses listed in the Schedule of Classes. It is not necessary to be formally admitted to the University to take advantage of the Visitor Program. Visitor status students do not submit written work or take examinations. Registration for both on-campus and off-campus classes takes place the first week of classes and is processed by the Division of Educational Outreach Programs, located on the main campus.

Web Registration
You cannot register/add/drop if:

  • You have an academic or financial hold.
  • You have not been admitted to the University for the current term.
  • You have not registered for several years and have not had your records reactivated. You may need to contact Student Records at (313) 577-3531 before registering.